Sunday, December 9, 2012

Section 6: Getting an IDT Position and Succeeding at It

Begin your post for this week with some background: what is your current job, what program are you enrolled in, what brings you to that program, and what do you expect when you graduate (change jobs? obtain a promotion?)

My current job is to teach Computer Science/Robotics to high school students. I also have the title of Computer Department Head/Technology Coordinator/IT Manager in the school. I believe that Teachers are more important than ever and have a heavy responsibility to feed the hungry minds of the young generation.  Thats why I became a teacher because I found that I loved the interaction and seeing kids grow as future adults.
I enrolled in to Masters in Educational Technology - Leadership program. This is my first class. I just began my journey in Graduate School.
My friend graduated from A&M Commerce, and he recommended it to me. I made a research and found out that A&M Commerce is very good in Education field in Dallas area. So far, I liked the school, and I liked this class. I already learned  a lot of new things.
To me, educating our kids is very challenging and also very important job in the world. As teachers, we have our children's future in our hands. If we want to leave better world to our children, we must be effective teacher. That's the reasons that brought me in to this program.
After graduation, I am expecting to continue my graduate education, and get my Ph.D. I have BIG passion to continue my education.

Next, describe the kind of work that you want to do and the type of organization or institution in which you want to work. Use the WorkMatrixTM in the chapter titled “Getting a Job in Business and Industry” to help organize your thoughts. Do you most desire first, second, third, or fourth level service? Or would you rather design or develop instruction? What features of work are important to you? What economic sector do you want to work in?

I completed the WorkMatrix, and see that I desire to First level service (Teaching, delivering training), and Third-level service (Designing instructional models). I also desire to Develop Instruction. My ultimate goal is to continue my education. I want to be more and more effective in classroom. I also love to research and learn new things. The Geographic Location feature is important to me. My home is very close to school. I use highway to go to school everyday. It takes only 10 minutes and no traffic :) Honestly, I don't like spending my precious time just for transportation.  I want to work in Education economic sector. As teachers, we have to work 186 days in a year. None of any other sectors will give you half year off :) I like its flexibility.


Based on these intentions, explain what you need to learn. What skills and qualifications do you need? Will you obtain the skills you need in the required courses in your program? What electives might you need to take to help you develop skills specific to your aspirations?

Based on my intention to continue my education through Ph.D, I need to learn how to conduct effective research, and improve my writing skills. According to my degree plan, after taking 18 credits, I can take rest 18 credits from Higher Education department. Also, I would like to teach AP Computer Science course to my high school students next year. In order to be qualified to teach AP courses, I have to attend to AP workshops during summer. I already found one AP workshop this summer, and will register as soon as it opens for registration.

Finally, carefully examine the professional organizations and conferences listed in the chapter titled "Professional Organizations and Publications in IDT." What organizations would best support your continued learning after you graduate? Do you think you would benefit from joining those organizations before graduating? Explain why or why not? What conferences or annual meetings do you think it would be helpful to you to attend? Select at least two and tell what you could learn from attending.

As I read through Chapter 26, I see that there are many organizations that support Education. Currently, I am member of Computer Science Teachers Association. I am planning to attend their annual conference in July. Someday, I would like to join Association for Educational Communications and Technology(AECT) and The International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE). I think these two organizations would be beneficial for my continued learning after graduation.
The International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE®) is the premier membership association for educators and education leaders engaged in improving learning and teaching by advancing the effective use of technology in PK–12 and teacher education. ISTE membership is a powerful and meaningful way for educators to connect with peers, to gather in a variety of forums to share the challenges and excitement of teaching, and to be part of a community that leads the transformation of education. If I become their member, I would get the following benefits:
  • Learning & Leading with Technology magazine
  • ISTE's member communities and special interest groups(SIGs)
  • Members-only resources
  • NETS resources
  • ISTE journals: JRTE, JDLTE, and JCT
  • ISTE books discount (30% off)
  • ISTE webinars discount (60% off)
  • ISTE’s annual conference and exposition registration discount
By attending ISTE's annual conferences, it allows me to enter more than 200 concurrent spotlight and lecture sessions, 300+ poster, student showcase, and global collaboration stations, themed networking lounges.


The Association for Educational Communications and Technology (AECT) is a professional association of thousands of educators and others whose activities are directed toward improving instruction through technology. It provides an international forum for the exchange and dissemination of ideas for its members and for target audiences; it is the national and international spokesperson for the improvement of instruction; and, it is the most recognized association of information concerning a wide range of instructional and educational technology. I would get more benefits by joining AECT.

  • Professional and Staff Development and Connections
  • Publications and Resources
  • An Open Content Portal, developed by interns and operated by the Graduate Student Assembly, provides a resource by which educational technology scholars and researchers can share how they teach and what they teach in their courses
  • Awards and scholarships are available through the Educational Communication and Technology Foundation
  • Mentoring opportunities can be arranged
  • Members qualify for a discount on Geico automobile insurance.


2 comments:

  1. Hi, Muammer!
    You're not going to believe this, but I am also the Robotics/Technology teacher at my school. Does your school do FRC? This is our seconde year, so I'm getting geared up to start on January 5th.

    I, too, want to get my Ph.D. I simply want to be a subject matter expert. Thanks so much for all of the detail you put into the section about professional associations and professional development. I like how you listed their benefits as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, no other job allows such flexibility! Sounds like you will gain a lot from attending the ISTE conference. Impressive!

    ReplyDelete